Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Workshop Goals

From Rachel:
The concept of a "developmental workshop" is somewhat antithetical to a girl like me. While I embrace considerable change and re-imagining in rehearsals, I want to start my journey with my collaborators (actors, musicians, etc) holding a clear vision of the final product in my head. But that's not the way we are or should begin this process.

We are using this time to forge the path that will lead us to the starting place of the journey to the final, fully-produced play.

Did you follow that metaphor-chain? It must be worth repeating...

The purpose of the workshop--rehearsals and performances combined--is to explore how to make the paths, make a few, see where they take us, and determine in the end which one connects to (or comes the closest to connecting to) where we should begin envisioning the full production. So I am trying to fight the urge to imagine the final product in my head beyond a few key points:
1. It has original music.
2. It is following the spirit of Brecht's methodology and aesthetic.
3. It is engaging the audience in the creation of the production.
4. There is a big-ass wagon on stage which has things that light-up and move.

I would be lying if I said I had no other images, partial or polished, floating around because let's face it--of course I do! However, I want to embrace the workshop process and use it for all its worth. I don't want to know what it is going to be and make it; I want to play out the possibilities.

......

Related to the title of the post.... here's an official message about the workshop's goals as they stand now:

Courage is an American Political Theatre Revival, shaking up the concept of theatre, igniting political thought, and inciting action (in the production and the world). It's targeting active members of the artistic/theatrical and politically aware/active communities, and working to gain new members, "converts." What's the message? Be an active participant in your life and your world—take action.

When mounted in full, Courage is like to be dog & pony dc's most complex production to date. So the workshop is designed to address these areas and subsequent:

Points of Focus for Workshop
1. Approach to the script (creating a shared vocabulary and practice)
2. Creation and Incorporation of Music
3. Interaction with the Audience
4. Effect of Location on Production

Questions
1. How do we approach performing Bretch’s work in the spirit in which he intended?
2. What role does music/song play?
3. How do we interact with and include the audience? (How does the audience become integral to the creation of the production?)
4. How does the location effect the production for performers and audience?

....

(And for all those counting: this is my first blog posting ever, all by myself. Forgive or praise away.)

No comments:

Post a Comment